This site last updated on  22-Aug-2003
My first sight of the Grand Canyon was quite awe inspiring, but could not prepare me for what was to come. I was able to check out the Bright Angel Trail, which I was due to ride on the Mule, and saw the half way point at Indian Garden. The day ended with a lovely sunset.
The guide, called Dave, led us down the Bright Angel trail, doing his best to make us keep up with him. On the way down, we passed a beautiful red cliff. Near the bottom, we passed by a telephone line, installed in the 1930's, and still in use, then we had a sighting of the Colorado for the first time. The way to Phantom Range took us along a River Trail, which runs several hundred feet above the river,then over a Bridge.
Once we arrived at Phantom Ranch, we were all allocated our cabins. After supper we went down to the river, passing a temperature gauge, which read 94F at 7:00 p.m. We then had a lovely sunset to view. before receiving a talk on the nocturnal wildlife, and retiring to bed.
We had to get up at 7:00 a.m. to avoid the heat. We had lots of good views on the way up. We also stopped and dismounted to rest the Mules, here's me just before one dismount. Here's my wonderful mule Sassy, and me, and our Group. Yet another view form inside the canyon, followed by a rest for the mules, but no dismount. Notice how we turn to look over the edge! A final view of Phantom Ranch and the Colorado, about 4,000 feet below us! Another good view, plus a panoramic view of the canyon.
The trail out was a series of switchbacks, where we could see the riders in front, several layers above us. However, after 5 hours in the saddle, we made it out of the canyon, and were able to get off and rest our behinds, and get our legs working again. A fantastic and memorable experience.
In the afternoon, a huge rainstrom went down the canyon. Little was I to know that this would be a precursor for me of some tremendous storm activity in the desert the next day, which ultimately closed an Insterstate highway, and caused me to slow right down to 30 m.p.h. because the rain was a curtain of water, with no visibility!