World Tour
e-mail us
This site last updated on  08-Dec-2004
We arrived early Friday morning, had time to settle into the apartment, before taking a walk on the Beach at Fish Hoek, and enjoying the sunset. On the Saturday, we made a trip into Cape Town, and visited the Winchester Mansions Hotel, in Greenpoint, where we enjoyed a lovely lunch, before returning to Fish hoek for the 90th Birthday party of Doris Bechervaise
On the Sunday, a big party was held for Doris at Valerie Emery's, who can be seen with her daughter Meg, and Michelle sorting it out. There was plenty of drink on a lovely sunny day, and Doris enjoyed all her friends, and receiving their gifts, with Michelle on hand to help.
Lyn had agreed to marry Andy on the Sunday, but the secret was kept, since it was only right to let our Mum's be the first to know. However, that did not stop us buying an engagement ring. First, though, a trip to Table Mountain. Both Lyn and Andy enjoyed the stunning views across Table Bay. Then on to Kirstenbosch gardens, where Andy wrestled with a Crocodile, and Lyn enjoyed the shade.
Tuesday saw us visiting Stellenbosch, and the lovely Lanzerac Estate, where we enjoyed a fabulous lunch. However, we took the long route there, driving along the coast, from where we could see Cape Point. We then went to a vineyard, and did a little wine tasting. By then, both Lyn and Andy were pretty happy!
The next day, we went on a picnic to Cape Point, and the Cape of Good Hope with Ron and Margaret Ramsker, and their daughter, Linda. We went via the penguin colony near to Simonstown. A great success story, where the African Penguin, nearly extinct in this area, has now grown to a large colony. After the picnic, Lyn and Linda dipped their toes into the cold Atlantic waters! Then we went and posed on the Cape of Good Hope sign!
Thursday was Andy's birthday, and we agreed to make this our official engagement, but to still keep it a secret, so that we could tell our Mums first. We bought both engagement ring and wedding ring in this lovely shop in Claremont, where they have the workshop in the store, and where they made our rings. We stayed overnight in the Mount Nelson Hotel, where, with the help of the staff, I was able to propose to Lyn in style, with the ring being served up in a bed of rose petals just before dessert.
The morning dawned bright, but windy. We left the Mount Nelson, and headed for the coast road, passed the 12 Apostles. We could look back and see Camps Bay in the background. We had a great morning, despite the strong South Easterly wind that was blowing. We then returned to the Apartment to enjoy the view, and have a rest.
This was a week for birthdays, because now it was time for Doris's Great Grand-daughter, Sarah, to celebrate! The birthday girl enjoyed the party with her Mum, Meg and sister, Emma. Great Grandma was there with Aunty Linda. Afterwards, the more intrepid went to the beach for a swim. Andy dived in! Then it was time to play at sand castles with Sarah, including a burial it seemed!
Now it was time to go home and tell everyone our good news. However, first we had to say goodbye to Fairways, the apartment that had been our home for 8 days. The Bed sitting room was large enough to accommodate this huge bed. The bathroom was luxurious, and the kitchen well appointed. We managed to rent it through a company called Lizard Rock, who we can recommend.